Mast head diagram

Discussions relating to rigging
Stryker
Run aground

Mast head diagram

Post by Stryker » Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:29 pm

Hi, I'm in need of a diagram or photo for the top of the mast head on a swift 18.
I've had a young lad working on my swift but he has managed to pull out the main halyard and boom lift lines and now can't workout how they are run back. To be fair I can't either, I can only see one pulley for two lines to go around before running down the mast.
Any help would be much aprechated.

Dave :D

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:20 pm

Hi Dave,
Here is a picture of my masthead, there are two pulley blocks as you can see, the centre one in the masthead with the wire is for the main halyard. The lower one with the red line is the topping lift.
I think some boats had the topping lift secured to the masthead crane and fed through a block at the boom end to a cleat on the boom.
Is that how yours was?
Rob
Attachments
dscf2896a.jpg

Stryker
Run aground

Post by Stryker » Fri Apr 04, 2014 10:56 pm

Hi Rob, thanks for the picture. I seem to have a diffrent setup on my mast, I have the two pulleys inside the masthead crane.
On your masthead the one pulley inside is like mine but just behind is another pulley for the topping lift, both lines used to run through the mast. The only way I can see of doing that now is to have the topping lift running over the main halyard pulley which doesn't seem right to me.
Regards Dave