Roller furling halyard tension

Discussions relating to rigging
Hamblesailor
Under way

Roller furling halyard tension

Post by Hamblesailor » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:22 pm

I have an early Swift 18 that seems to want its jib halyard tensioning by leading the halyard round the block at the top of the foil then back down to the eye on the top of the furling drum. I understand that later ones have a top swivel that you hoist up the foil with the sail (like every other (larger) yacht roller furling system I have seen).
Is it possible to add a top swivel to my system so I can adjust halyard tension from the cockpit? Do owners typically do this? Is it worth doing? Can people get enough halyard tension on an early system like mine? Should it have a tackle of some sort at the bottom to tension?
Jake

Brio
Under way
Boat Name: Brio
Sail Number: GBR2949L

Halyard tension

Post by Brio » Thu Nov 29, 2012 10:06 pm

I have found with mine, (same design as yours) that if you put on too much halyard tension, ie more than just gets the wrinkles out of the luff, you get a lovely bend on the foil which is best viewed from the tiller whilst wondering why you cannot steer upwind as much as you would like!
I now tension mine, and another that I rig for its owner, as above which is easy by hand. I also use a temporary piece of string to extend the halyard when hoisting so that I`m left with just enough halyard to tie off on the top of the furling drum, which I now do to a shackle in case I need to drop the whole thing in a hurry, if that makes sense. I`ve done the `undoing bow furler knot in a chop with gusty wind whilst gripping the deck with my knees` routine - just the once!
regards
Dave H
ps PM sent re sails