Single Handed Mast Raising & Lowering

Discussions relating to rigging
John Hainsworth
Cruising

Single Handed Mast Raising & Lowering

Post by John Hainsworth » Fri Nov 09, 2012 8:34 pm

I raise and lower my mast using an A Frame and adjustable stays.
First I erect a support above the transom for the lowered mast.
I then tie the stays as high up the mast as I can reach, take them through the genoa sheet blocks and forward through one of the fairleads.
I connect the trailer winch to the forestay and hold the stays in one hand as I release the tension on the forestay. Slowly the mast comes down and rests on a support above the transom.
I later modified this technique slightly by cutting two lengths of tube to the height of the stanchions. I then thread a rope through each and connect one end of this to the toe rail and the other end to the pulpit guard rail connection so that the tube is vertical and in line with the mast. I then take a line from the top of the tube, round the mast as high as possible and down to the other tube. This gives me a stay which has its base in line with the bolt on which the mast pivots. Once this is secure I lower or raise the mast using the trailer winch or the mainsheet tackle if on the water.
If the mast sticks in a vertical position I use back stay tension to start the downward movement.
The beauty of the system is that it gives full control at all times.