Halliard wrap

Discussions relating to rigging
Colne Bar
Under way

Halliard wrap

Post by Colne Bar » Fri Jun 01, 2012 10:20 am

I've experienced some difficulties with furling & unfurling the genoa due to halliard wrap at the top of the rotating foil caused by the narrow angle between the halliard and the forestay

I've tried a number of solutions, but none of them are perfect...

1) Attach a downhaul line to the halliard to pull it back towards the mast and away from the foil; works OK but makes adjusting halliard tension awkward.

2) A halliard diverter block on the mast about 15cm below the mast sheave; stopped the wrap but furling was still rather lumpy, and the block eventually broke free from its fixing - too much strain?

3) Threaded a number of plastic rope-stopper beads onto the halliard where it catches against the foil; this is a workable compromise - furling is still a bit lumpy, but halliard tension can be adjusted easily.

Any other ideas?

NB Furling system is Rotostay

James

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:27 pm

James,
If you have the Rotostay that is fitted to most (early) Swifts, like this:-
http://f1.grp.yahoofs.com/v1/UA7KT7nNwd ... ostay4.JPG
Then the halyard comes back down the foil and is secured to the eye on top of the drum.
If you have the later type Rotostay with a Halyard slider swivel, and use the halyard inside the mast then the halyard diverter block that you have tried is the method recommended by Rotostay. See:-
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/tonyandgi/Te ... tostay.pdf
I've not tried this as mine is the first type of Rotostay!
Hope this helps!
Rob

Colne Bar
Under way

Post by Colne Bar » Sun Jun 03, 2012 8:59 pm

Thank you for that Rob, I have the later type so I shall have another go at fitting the halliard diverter when the mast is next down (not keen on bosuns chair method suggested in the manual!)
James

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:26 pm

Hi James,
I've just come back from my boat and looking at the genoa halyard sheave, there's no space between it and the top of the foil for a diverter block is there?
Sorry I can't offer any more advice, unless you bring the halyard back down the foil to the eye on the drum as you would if you did not have a halyard slider swivel!
Has anyone else solved this problem?
Rob

Colne Bar
Under way

Post by Colne Bar » Sun Sep 02, 2012 4:41 pm

I can report that the rope-stopper beads threaded onto the halliard above the shackle are still doing a reasonable job in preventing wrap after several months use :)