Rotostay roller reefing drum maintenance

Discussions relating to rigging
dunedin321
Anchored

Post by dunedin321 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 9:02 pm

Dear Swifties,

My Swift 18 roller reefing had been very stiff towards the end of last season and in preparation for this season I have taken off the lower section with the drum - refer photos. As I was disassembling, a few ball bearings fell out. Unfortunately I just can't get the 3 screws to turn or the drum to separate so that I can investigate and hopefully repair. Has anyone had a similar experience and found a solution without having to purchase a new roller reefing unit? I'd welcome any advice.

Regards. Stephen
Attachments
IMG_0979.JPG
IMG_0980.JPG

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

Furlig drum

Post by mikeprojectboat » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi, The three slot heat screws MUST be unscrewed/removed to enable you to sevice the unit. Try the following... remove foils, stand unit upright,drip warm/hot penetrating oil, wd40/diesel? onto slot head,heads. if oil not staying on screw/heads make a containment ring to keep fluid on the heads(playdough,putty,plasticine?) try and warm/heat the unit,allowing the oil to soak into the seized threads. Use a blowlamp(WITH CARE) or your wife/girlfriends creme brulee burner,or hair drier,or fan heater or oven.(make sure wife/girlfriend/partner is out if you have to resort to this as it stinks ,when the oil heats up.!!) Allow to soak/heat for a good few mins then fix unit in vice/ work bench FIRMLY,then try unscrewing with a good long handled screwdriver that is a FULL FIT in the slot head with a pair of mole grips on the shaft.!! Thoughts and results.......... you might have to keep heating and soaking unit for some days to allow for the oil to penetrate inside, you might have to heat unit up until VERY VERY HOT for it to work, or you will turn the heads of the screws, .!! Then it gets more interesting,!! Best of luck Mike(mikeprojectboat)in sunny Norfolk

dunedin321
Anchored

Post by dunedin321 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:27 pm

Mike - thanks for the advice - I'll get to work and look forward to the ...then it gets interesting! Stephen