Back boom support

Discussions relating to rigging
Kevinbwilko
Making way

Back boom support

Post by Kevinbwilko » Mon Mar 22, 2010 9:58 pm

Can somebody draw me a diagram or send a picture on how to rig the wire and pulley thingy (sorry for using such technical language!) at back of boat which supports the boom / mast to stern. Also how to support the boom out at an angle to give more headroom with it in place.
Thanks in anticipation.

mikeprojectboat
Cruising

boom support?

Post by mikeprojectboat » Thu Mar 25, 2010 6:28 pm

Hi, Do you mean the cable holding up the boom at the end,? (topping lift)Boom tensioner cable runs to the mast head.? or/and the backstay .? cable from mast head down to two stern fixing fixing points with a small tensioner(Two blocks).? have a look in the gallery pics ,there are some photos I think will help. I gave up on my topping lift,made a boom strut instead,(flexi strut to support the boom) REGARDS MIKE

Kevinbwilko
Making way

Back stay

Post by Kevinbwilko » Thu Mar 25, 2010 8:47 pm

Thanks, I actually mean both. Have been l;ooking at pics in gallery. I think I have the boom lift rope just didn't know what it was as I used the backstay. How important is the backstay and how tight? What did you do to hold the boom (in laymans terms?!!!!)

Rondonay
Cruising

Back boom support

Post by Rondonay » Fri Mar 26, 2010 9:59 am

Hi.

The backstay is vital to prevent the mast falling forward under load! The tension is adjustable with the mechanism on the stb side part of the 'fork'. I slack it so that the mast tip is vertical when leaving the boat, and tighten it to achieve a slight backward angle when sailing.

The topping lift on Rondonay is missing and replaced by a spur that comes off the backstay and clips to the end of the boom. Personally, I prefer a proper topping lift that runs fron the end of the boom to the masthead and returns to the cleats on the mast. There is a spare block set into the masthead for the purpose and I have bought the halyard, just need to get it done. :0)

On 25 March 2010 20:47, Kevinbwilko <forum-rigging@swift18.org (forum-rigging@swift18.org)> wrote:
Thanks, I actually mean both. Have been l;ooking at pics in gallery. I think I have the boom lift rope just didn't know what it was as I used the backstay. How important is the backstay and how tight? What did you do to hold the boom (in laymans terms?!!!!)

Post generated using Mail2Forum (http://www.mail2forum.com)

robvega
Cruising
Boat Name: Vega
Sail Number: 191

Post by robvega » Fri Mar 26, 2010 10:34 am

Kevin,
The easy way to keep the boom out of the way & to one side when not sailing is to unclip the mainsheet from the cockpit floor & clip it to the toe rail either side. Assuming you've got a proper topping lift & not just a strop from the backstay. Mine lives there at all times when not sailing, unless I've got the boom tent up!
Further to Pauline's comments about the back stay, this is also usefull to depower the main upwind as the wind increases, by tensioning the backstay to induce bend in the mast & flatten the sail.
Rob